US Government W-9 Form:


If you are an independent contractor or self-employed, you need to report your Social security number or business tax identification number to your clients. You need to fill out the US Government W-9 form for this purpose. In other words, W-9 form is the IRS form used for requesting your tax payer identification number. is the right place to download this form.


How to use a W-9 form:


It is a straightforward procedure to fill out the W-9 form. Following some simple steps can help you to use a W-9 form effortlessly.


  • First fill in your full personal name and the official registered name of your business.
  • There are some boxes in the form that best describes your situation, which include “sole proprietor”, “partnership”, “corporation” or “other”. You just need to put a check mark in the respective box.
  • If you select “other”, you need to explain whether you are excluded from backup withholding.
  • You need to enter your full address along with City, State and Zip code. You can give your account number in the box provided.
  • You need to write your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). TIN is either your social security number or your Employer Identification number. The TIN must match the name provided in the first line of the form so as to avoid backup withholding. If you do not have a Social security number or employer identification number, you need to apply for it immediately.
  • It is important to read the certification section thoroughly and then submit the completed form.


US Government W-9 form requires a signature, but it is not essential to be witnessed by the client or employer. However, most of the freelancers send the W-9 form that can be a copy of the original. Again, most of the employers have a record of w-9 form, if they pay to the freelancer more than $600 annually.


Some specific instructions to be followed:


You need to follow some specific instructions while filling out the US Government W-9 form. If you are an individual, you need to write your name as shown in the income tax return. If you change your last name without informing the social security administration, you can write your first name, last name as in the social security card and your new last name.